The Latino Commission on AIDS Mourns the Passing of José Colon
For Immediate Release
May 15, 2013
New York, Wednesday, May 15, 2012 – The Latino Commission on AIDS mourns the passing of its long-time supporter and friend, activist José Colon, a tireless advocate for the rights of People Living with HIV and founder of Pacientes Pro-Politica Sana, in San Juan, Puerto Rico (PR). Through his work, he brought light to the many challenges faced by people living with HIV and he will be remembered for his exemplary, courageous, and adamant fight against corruption and misappropriation of HIV funding in PR. Because of his steadfast, outspoken commitment, José gained the attention of a wide spectrum of individuals, but all respected him as he fought to bring health parity to people living with HIV/AIDS, a fight which he continued all the way through to the end of his life. He is survived by his partner of 18 years, Anselmo Fonseca.
“Our sincere condolences go to the family and friends of José Colon, and especially to his partner of 18 years, Anselmo Fonseca. While we at the Latino Commission on AIDS mourn his passing, we also remember him dearly and gratefully for his selfless and tireless work on behalf of people living with HIV/AIDS. José joined efforts, in many occasions, with our past President, Dennis de Leon, and we all are grateful for the opportunity to have worked closely with such an important and committed activist” stated Guillermo Chacón, President of the Latino Commission on AIDS.
ABOUT THE LATINO COMMISSION ON AIDS
The Latino Commission on AIDS (Commission) is a nonprofit membership organization founded in 1990 dedicated to meet the health challenges and addressing the impact of HIV/AIDS. The Commission is the leading organization coordinating National Hispanic Hepatitis Awareness Day (May 15), National Latino AIDS Awareness Day (October 15), Latinos and the Deep South, and other prevention, research, capacity building, and advocacy programs across the United States and its territories.
Other Press Releases
• World AIDS Day: Snagfilms Features 21 Films About AIDS.
December 04, 2013
• This Sunday at 5pm ET: Special about "Obamacare" in Univision
December 01, 2013
• Community Leaders Join Forces in South Florida to Address HIV Incidence
November 14, 2013
• Innovative social strategies among Latino gay & bisexual men celebrate its fifth annual community contest
November 08, 2013
• Congratulations and Best Wishes to Mayor elect Bill de Blasio
November 06, 2013
• U.S. HIV Workforce Survey Re-launched in Spanish!
November 04, 2013
• Governor Andrew Cuomo Signs Bill to Require Hospitals to Offer Hepatitis C Testing
October 23, 2013
• National Latino AIDS Awareness Day
October 15, 2013
• Treatment Education & the Implementation of the Affordable Care Act in Puerto Rico
August 23, 2013
• Latino LGBTQ Network Delivers Recommendations to Mayoral Candidates
August 15, 2013