Employment & Internships at the Commission
Join the Commission
Working at the Commission is working for a family where everyone is commited to improve the well being of our brothers and sisters. The questions we always arise among our employees is "How much of an impact do you want to make in the Latino community?"
From the very beginning of your career with the Commission, we encourage you to define and achieve your goals. We support your professional development through training, projects, community involvement, and many other challenges.
The Commission is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. People of color, women, transgender, and individuals of diverse backgrounds encouraged to apply.
Internship Opportunities. Internships are managed by the Research and Evaluation Department. For more information click here.
Current Full Time Positions:
||CAPACITY BUILDING ASSISTANCE SPECIALIST
||New York City office
|The Commission is a nonprofit membership organization dedicated to improving and expanding health promotion, research, treatment and other services through organizing, education, model program development, capacity building and training.
The Commission provides HIV and health services at the local, regional, and national levels. The Commission’s Capacity Building Assistance (CBA) programs – Hands United and Comunidables Saludables Ahora/Healthy Communities Now (CSA) – work with organizations and communities serving all racial/ethnic minorities across the U.S. A CBA specialist serves both as trainer and as an organizational coach helping to improve the efficiency of programs.
The CBA Specialist should have experience with topics related to Monitoring and Evaluation such as evaluation planning, design of monitoring and evaluation tools, data entry, data analysis, report writing based on data interpretation, and community assessment. In particular, the CBA Specialist must have very strong skills in utilizing SPSS (or similar statistical software) for data analysis and in coaching others to enhance these skills. The CBA Specialist must be able to train, coach and create tools for organizations on appropriate monitoring and evaluation strategies. The CBA Specialist must have extensive experience with collecting and analyzing qualitative and quantitative data, as well as experience with evidence-based HIV prevention interventions and public health strategies such as CTRS. Furthermore, the CBA Specialist is responsible for the maintenance and promotion of the CBA Program, particularly: 1) Program Promotion and Collaborations; 2) Development and Implementation of CBA Program; 3) Reporting; and 4) Quality Assurance. The CBA Specialist ensures that the work is carried out in a professional, competent, efficient and organized fashion.
The capacity building specialist will engage in the following, though not limited, tasks:
- Provide trainings (1-3 days) and workshops throughout the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) on topics such as: monitoring and evaluation basics, data analysis, organizational sustainability, logic models, community mapping, and cultural competency.
- Travel about 35% of the time.
- Take a lead in developing and writing curricula
- Assist organizations through coaching sessions so that they may reach their goals and objectives
- Help conduct regional formative assessments and organizational needs assessments throughout the U.S.
- Write assessment reports, case studies and evaluation reports
- Ensure there is an active exchange between CBOs of information and participation in the process.
- Write articles for the team newsletter
- Represent the Commission at events, conferences and other activities to promote CBA services
- Develop partnerships and collaborations by maintaining relationships with CDC and health department program staff and local, regional and national CBA providers as well as with diverse ethnic/racial communities in the U.S.
- Maintain and implement evaluation protocols for CBA program
- Develop quality assurance instruments for adaptation and tailoring in the implementation of CBA
- Implement and further develop CBA program mission in accordance with lessons learned
- Ensure project activities are provided in a timely manner pursuant to planned timelines
- Work with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) by becoming Master Trainers on effective interventions.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Thorough knowledge of monitoring and evaluation best practices, data analysis, and data-based report writing
- Thorough knowledge of SPSS (or similar statistical package)
- Ability to collect and analyze both qualitative (interviews, focus groups) and quantitative (surveys) data
- Strong writing skills, and experience writing curricula and reports
- Two to three years experience as a trainer on health related issues
- Ability to travel 35% of time, working with diverse populations in diverse settings
- Master’s or graduate degree in social sciences, public administration or public health preferred
- Experience working in the area of HIV prevention
- Strong analytical skills
- Public speaking skills
- Crisis management skills
- Experience managing complex programs and meeting contract obligations
- Cultural competency in regards to issues impacting ethnic minorities and HIV/AIDS
- Experience working with HIV high-risk populations
- Able to start immediately.
|How to Apply:
||Send a cover letter and resume to Anahi Galante at email@example.com .
or by mail to Latino Commission on AIDS, 24 West 25th Street, 9 Floor, New York, NY 10010. Attention: Anahi Galante .
|What working for us means
"Promoting HIV awareness and knowing that my people get the message, makes
my work gratifiying."
2006: Outreach Coordinator, Crystal Meth Awareness Campaign
2008: Program Coordinator, Mpowerment Project
2009: Program Director, Mpowerment Project
2007: NLAAD Program Coordinator
2008: NLAAD Director
"Working in a group so passionate about helping the community stay healthy and safe has been an inspiring learning experience."
2008: Health Policy Intern
2009: Development Consultant